You can have all the best and most expensive diagnostic tools on the planet but if you don't use them properly, the diagnostic information they provide may be meaningless or worse, completely misleading which can easily send you into erroneous solutions to non-problems.
- Voltage Meter (DVM/VOM) - Probably the most helpful and useful tool is the volt meter.
- Cable Tester - This hobby uses lots of cables. You'll need to know they're working.
- Oscilloscope - An advanced tool for measuring very tiny/fast digital signals and electrical wave patterns.
- Logic Analyzer - An advanced tool for diagnosing communication issues.
- Infrared Heat Sensor - Analyze overheating issues with a temperature gun.
- A/C Line Tester - A common, everyday, easy-to-use tool for checking A/C power outlets and power cables.
- Other DIY Testers - Helpful tools/testers you can assemble yourself.